About

Smoothies & MORE is about eating healthy. Learning new and inventive ways to incorporate fruits and vegetables into your diet. With the assistance of the Smoothies & MORE Blog, you will learn how to create recipes that will suit your palate, as well as, enjoying a healthy experience for you and your family ... ♥♥

Friday, August 16, 2013

Fresh Berry & Endive Lettuce Salad ...

I'm always in the market for new salad ideas. As I was shopping at the produce market, I came across this beautiful head of Endive lettuce. I had to have it in my basket, as I perused around the market. I though of what I wanted to do, and all the things I had that could accompany this lettuce ...
I had already picked up a few pints of fresh raspberries upon entering the market. At first strawberries came to mind, the price was a little to high for me so I didn't get them this round. The raspberries would do just fine with the endive along with a nice raspberry vinaigrette to take the bitterness out of the endive.  

I love having a nice Seasonal salad, especially when I can get an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. I like to go early in the mornings when hardly no one is out shopping. Don't be in such a rush when shopping for foods, sometimes you may overlook the bumps and bruises. Check for firmness, even when you are shopping for fresh berries. You gotta eat them and you don't want to get home with berries you may have to toss. You know if you find them and you see some that may have juice leaking, I don't purchase those. of course you may have one or two bad ones. In a pint of about 20-25 raspberries or blackberries, it does matter when it gets to be 5 that's nearly 1/4 of the pint .... 

This salad can be your main meal or served as a side dish to the meat of your choice. The color shout summer and fall! ... Endive is one of those lettuces where a little goes a long way. It's light, which give you room to pile on the extras. I like the use of berries because  it gives you an alternative to the traditional salad extras. Cucumbers can be chosen for many salads, I love to have that extra crunch ...



For this salad I used ... 

7-8 roughly chopped Endive Lettuce Leaves ... 
1/4-1/2 pint of Raspberries ...          1/4-1/2 pint of Blackberries ...         1/2 Cucumber cut or diced up ...   Top with Raspberry Vinaigrette or your choice of salad dressing ....


Please share and ENJOY! 



No comments:

Post a Comment